Ladies and gentlemen, I will officially be able to go out in public without wearing my brace next week. I received this news at physical therapy yesterday, after I had one of the interns at the office take the posted pictures so I could send them down to Dr. Andrews as a status update being that it was the four-week mark post-surgery (in reality it was four weeks and one day, but I didn't really think he'd have that much of an issue that I was 24 hours delayed in sending him the picture). I sent the pictures attached to an email describing my progress, explaining that there is still some swelling around the scar and the atrophy of the muscles is often quite painful. I received a response email less than an hour later that read: "Looks AWESOME! Keep up the good work."After relaying the email response over to my physical therapist, we went over the protocol and noted that at the point that I am, I will be able to remove the brace permanently at the five week mark. This is typically a week before it is recommended, but as I noted the physical therapy has been going smoothly with no bumps in the road and thus, I am capable of comfortably living without the brace. The physical therapist did request that I leave the brace on if I'm out in a social setting. For example, if I go to a house party while I'm at college it's best to have it on just so other people are aware that there is an injury in place. Despite the fact that my strength has gone up dramatically, you never know what kind of pain could take place if some intoxicated idiot comes and smacks me on the arm by accident. Better safe than sorry.
The last week has probably been the most progress I've made since I first got out of the sling and into the brace, which was more than three weeks ago. I can now perform nearly most daily functions with my left arm, including two highly underestimated- and much more comforting tasks- being able to roll over and lie down on my left side and a certain action that takes place in the privacy in the bathroom that has proven to be quite difficult to perform with your non-dominant hand.
Today will be my final day at home in White Plains, NY...in fact this blog is a successful form of procrastination from packing all my things in preparation for the drive back to school tomorrow morning. I am very excited to get back to school and move into my house. I love my friends at school, the environment of college life and everything it comes with. At the same time, I am a bit skeptical about some aspects of the return. Firstly, I am a senior this year. While this allows me to have the freedom of having by far the best schedule I've ever had since I enrolled in the fall of 2008, it is upsetting at the same time. I have become incredibly comfortable with the atmosphere surrounded university life, and the fact that I am entering my final year of my undergraduate academic life signifies an end to a wonderful facet of my life.
The most crucial reason as to why I'm hesitant to jump at the typical excitement to head back to school is simple: Baseball. The first time I ever played baseball for a school team was in 7th grade, when I made the modified team as a pitcher/center fielder/first baseman (I know I know, stereotypical lefty). Since then, I have played for my school team every single year. In fact, I have played organized baseball every year since I was five years old. And then suddenly, my final year of college at the school I've come to love, and poof! It's gone. Surgery was on July 21, and the typical recovery period is 10-16 months. That means if I were to recover at an very fast pace that would land me game ready sometime in May of 2012...which is when the college season ends. Stephen Strasburg had his surgery on September 3, 2010 and he made his first minor league start a few weeks ago, 11 months later. He's still got a few weeks to go before he is projected to make his second Major League debut.
The other day, I had a long conversation with a teammate of mine who had his shoulder operated on a few months ago. We went over the pros and cons of the process, the frustrations and emotions that come along with the rehab. We went over the odd feelings that we get, and the aches and pains. We talked about the excitement about such minuscule accomplishments, and the mental drain that everything causes. He too might not be able to pitch this spring...also his senior season. He and I will be spending the fall and winter together in the training room, doing different exercises in an attempt to reach the same goal. We w̶a̶n̶t̶ need to get back on the mound, to proceed with the game that has provided us with so much for so long. We have a burning desire to obtain that peak of our athletic abilities, to fight against the injury that has debilitated us so much and prove that we can come out successful on the other end. We've provided each other a bit of a shoulder to lean on during rough times, and an ear to speak to when we feel the need to brag. There's no denying it has been a tough road thus far, and it'll probably only get tougher. Especially now that we'll be back on campus and not participating with the team. Rather than throwing, running, fielding, pitching, lifting during practice, we'll be confined to the trainer's room doing exercises with light weights that haven't been so difficult since we were toddlers. We'll be separate from our teammates, our brothers, for the first time since we can remember. It'll be a brutal reality check.
Monday afternoon will be my first therapy appointment at school, and I am curious to see how it plays out. I have developed a comfortable routine with the physical therapists I've been seeing here at home. It's not so much that I am incredulous towards the professional capabilities of the training staff at my school, it is just simply that it is another step outside of my comfort zone. I have no doubt that once I readjust to the ways that the rehabilitation process occurs in the training room at school I will be less apprehensive, but I feel that it is natural to not want things to differ from the usual process.
Hopefully my next blog post will be filled with strictly optimistic news, being that I am going to be enjoying myself at school and getting my brace off at the same time. Still though, I'm not too sure. It will most definitely be difficult being on campus and not being able to participate with my teammates. It will most likely torture me. But then again, that makes you a better person.
Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment